Friday, January 30, 2009

Italian Pot Pies













I tried this recipe back in December and it has become one of our favorites.  Personally, I find myself craving it.  It was also simple and quick to make.  What more could you ask for?

Italian Pot Pies
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped  (I used my Pampered Chef "chopper" to get it "finely chopped")
salt & pepper
1 pound ground beef  (I'm sure ground turkey would be a good substitute, or Italian sausage - yum!)
2 cups homemade or store bought tomato sauce (I used one jar of my favorite spaghetti sauce.  The better the sauce, the better it will turn out.)
1 cup flour
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp crushed dried rosemary
4 Tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup whole milk (I'm sure any milk can be used)
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with rack in lowest position.  In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.  Add onion and carrots; season with salt & pepper.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.  Add beef, and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes.  Add tomato sauce; bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until meat mixture has thickened, 8 to 10 minutes; set aside.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk flour, parmesan, baking powder, rosemary, and 1/2 tsp salt; make a well in center, and add butter and milk.  Stir just until dough comes together.
  • Spoon meat mixture into four 8-ounce ramekins; mound dough on top.  Place on a large rimmed baking sheet; bake until topping is golden brown and a tooth pick inserted in topping comes out clean, 10 to 12 minutes.
  • Serves 4  (this served 4 adults and my two kids, theirs were in smaller ramekins) 
  • Prep Time: 25 min
  • Total Time: 35 min

6 comments:

  1. Cool idea Jenny! Thanks! This recipe looks yummy, especially the topping, parmesan and rosemary, Yum. I just want to make some of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I have better access to all of your recipes now. Thanks for setting this up. I have a good peanut butter chocolate recipe to add one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be a fun blog. I can finally say that I have a blog now :) I'm going to put ramekins on my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, now this is cool!! Okay, I have one I want to add... I will do that this weekend!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny fixed this dish for Michele and I during Christmas...and it was delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We made this dish in one 8x8 inch pan and just dropped the biscuits in 4 drops. It turned out great! Also, we threw in some yellow summer squash chunks toward the end of the meat saute time (after the tomato sauce was added) just long enough to get the chunks soft but not mushy. I think zucchini would also be a great addition. We used ground turkey as well and it was delicious. Thanks for this recipe! Up next we're trying the spinach and prosciutto lasagna. Yum!

    ReplyDelete