Monday, August 10, 2009

Wonder Flour

I have a confession to make: we don't have much of a food storage to speak of. "Where would I keep it? And how would I use it?" are the two main questions that keep me from doing much toward food storage. We took a big step in the last few weeks and bought a grain mill. I figured I can at least start using grains and learning how to use them better, so when we can afford to get more serious about food storage, I won't be so overwhelmed because I will actually know how to use it all. It makes sense to me at least! Our experiment this week has been with Chef Brad's Wonder Flour.

In a bowl we put:
2 cups long grain brown rice
2 cups pearled barley
2 cups spelt
(I did 2 cups of each because that seemed like a reasonable amount for us to use initially, but as long as each grain is added in equal parts, you can do more or less.)
We mixed the grains together and then we ground them up on the finest setting.

Apparently you can use this flour in any recipe that calls for all-purpose flour, except in recipes that use yeast. Usually you have to add about a 1/2 cup more of the Wonder Flour (if your recipe calls for 3 cups of all-purpose flour, add 3 1/2 cups of Wonder Flour).

Experiment #1: Chocolate Chip Cookies
I used the Wonder Flour instead of the usual white flour in my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. The first time I tried this, the cookies came out wafer thin. I later learned that the nature of these grains required less moisture. The second time I only used one egg and reduced the amount of butter. They turned out much better! However, I may experiment with a different recipe until I'm completely happy. In both cases though, the cookies were delicious.

Experiment #2: Waffles
I used a simple waffle recipe and used the Wonder Flour instead of the all-purpose flour. Unlike the cookies, I didn't need to make any other adjustments to the recipe. I take that back, I did add a bit more sugar and vanilla, but that had nothing to do with the type of flour I used, just my preference. They turned out great!

2 1/2 c. Wonder Flour
1 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp white sugar (I did 4 Tbsp)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups warm milk (I was being lazy and just added it cold, I don't know what difference it made)
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla (I added about 3 tsp)
In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar; set aside. Preheat waffle iron. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the milk, butter, and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture; beat until blended. Ladle the batter into a preheated waffle iron.

Benefit: The comfort foods we enjoy are now healthier!

1 comment:

  1. We are saving for to get a grain mill. I cannot wait to get it. Have fun and let me know which ones work best for you.

    ReplyDelete