Monday, May 25, 2009

Refried Beans from my food storage

I've been taking inventory of my food storage, and I have gobs of #10 cans containing pinto beans. I've found a great recipe for refried beans that is pretty hands off. I'm all about easy around here.

Beans


Rinse 3 cups of pinto beans really well in water. Put them in a large crock pot with 3 quarts of water and one tablespoon of chopped garlic and cook on high for about 9 hrs. After they've cooked pretty much all day, use a slotted spoon and ladle them into a frying pan on medium with 1/2 stick of butter, one cup of salsa, and about 1 cup of cheddar cheese. I added about 1 tablespoon of salt, but since you're normal, I would add about 1/2 tablespoon and work your way up from there. Use a potato masher and mash until it's the consistency you want. If they seem dry, add some of the bean water from your crockpot to the pan.

If any of you have any other recipes for mashed or refried beans, I'd love to try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment