Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Why does it smell so good?

Growing up we ate beans.  It's one of those things I thought I would never make for my own family.  Not because I didn't like them, but because I didn't know how to make them and if you don't cook beans right -- they're not fun to eat.  For some reason, cooking beans smells really good (maybe it's just me), but throw a ham hock in there (that's what you can see in the picture) and it smells even better.  I'm hoping this pot of beans turns out good because I'm salivating already -- beans with chunks of ham with cornbread on the side!  I have a hard time thinking of what I want for dinner the night before so putting beans out to soak overnight doesn't work for me.  If you're interested this is what I did (thanks to Pioneer Woman for her no-overnight-soak recipe):

-Pour 4 cups of pinto beans into a colander, keeping your eyes open for bits you wouldn't want to eat and beans that don't look so good, then rinse the beans really well under cold water; pour into a large pot.
-Cover beans with water by two or three inches
-Throw in some bacon (4 slices will do, but I usually add more), or a ham hock (I just happened to have one), or just plain diced ham.
-Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover.  Simmer for two hours, or until beans are tender.  Add water to pot as needed.  Beans should have a thick broth.
-Toward the end of cooking time, add salt & pepper and season to taste.  Don't over-salt.  You can also add chili powder, garlic, or Tabasco.  You can get pretty creative with the spices, but I am not very daring in the kitchen so I keep it safe.  Just salt & pepper for me!
-Serve with cornbread (a must).  You can also serve with grated cheese, chopped onions, sour cream, or whatever else sounds good to you.  Aren't beans versatile?!?  Did I mention they're super cheap to make?  You most likely have some in your food storage already, they're good for you, and the leftovers are really good on some ultimate nachos, or homemade Indian fry bread!  

I'm looking forward to my dinner tonight!

Oh, and don't ask me for a cornbread recipe.  I rarely make it from scratch because I'm picky and I haven't found the perfect recipe yet.  I don't like my cornbread to be too dry, but I don't want it too wet either.  I buy the Marie Callender's mix from the store.  

No comments:

Post a Comment